Every bottle is individually numbered and waxed by hand
The whisky shows fruitiness coated by a mild, balanced and very clear smokiness.
- Barley aroma complemented by coconut and almonds
- Fresh with distinct smokiness and straight forward malt
- The sweetness of vanilla and toffee oak is well balanced with the stringency of the French Oak
The whisky uncovers the soft balanced notes of the barley mash-bill, the chocolate malt becomes more evident and the smoke and peat a bit rounder. The fruitiness matures a fraction and moves to ripe apples and hints of licorice.
- Honey and fudge blend with sweet wine aromas and wet wood jelly
- Well balanced with a medium-long aftertaste
- Enticing smokiness combined with an oiliness showcases the round maturity from cask maturation
- With a dash of water
- GOLD San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2018
- GOLD Wizards of Whisky Awards 2015, 2016, 2017
- GOLD IWSC 2015
- BEST IN CATEGORY American Distilling Institute 2017
- SILVER, OUTSTANDING IWSC 2017
- SILVER American Distilling Institute 2017
- SILVER Whisky Masters, 2017
- RECOMMENDED Whisky Magazine 2015
This whisky is named Tycho’s Star as a tribute to the most famous islander yet, the astronomer Tycho Brahe (pronounced Brah-ee) (1546-1601).
The name Tycho’s Star refers to the supernova that Tycho Brahe observed in the asterism Cassiopeia 1572. He called it “De Nova Stella” and made a term of the expression Nova, that nowadays are used to describe new stars.
In the research facilities near the castle Uraniborg, he had an observatory, medicinal gardens and laboratories. Almost 100 people worked within the compound. The astronomical measurement that was conducted on Hven 450 years ago are still astonishingly accurate and has been the basis for the heliocentric world view we have today.
In 1946, the Swedish crown prince Gustav Adolf inaugurated the famous statue of Tycho Brahe situated on Hven and, in 1999, the 50-metrictonne heavy granite sculpture that pride the entrance to the distillery was inaugurated, this one is baptised “Tycho’s Star.” Tycho Brahe is also known for his artificial copper nose, as he lost his own in a sword duel over a mathematical formula.
All Ingredients Fermented for 92 Hours
Tipple & Tamtam Barley
Malt* x [ Chocolate + Peated + Lager ]
[ Yeast x [ Wine + Beer + Distiller’s ]
Double Slow Distillation
Heavy Char, Quercus Muehlenbergii; Missouri
[ White American Oak x 58.2% ]
Heavy Toast, Quercas Petraea; Allier
[ European Oak x 33.44% ]
Medium Toast, Quercas Robur; Bourgogne
[ European Oak x 8.36% ]
Tycho’s Star Single Malt Whisky